Title

Our Love Filled Life

Monday, October 29, 2012

Apple Cream Cheese Turnovers


Any day that my house is filled with the wonderful smell of apples and cinnamon is a good day in my opinion. That's right - I'm back to the apple recipes once again to use up the rest of these apples on my kitchen table. Since I got them, I knew I wanted to make some Apple Cheese Turnovers! There is nothing like biting into a flaky, buttery puff pastry and indulging in the warm gooey apple cinnamon & cream cheese center of these pastries - It is simply divine! My favorite way to serve them is fresh out of the oven with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream - It is perfection in a bowl!


I'm sure most people don't attempt to make turnovers because they think they are too difficult - but turns out they're easy peasy. I don't know why I don't make them more often. You could always switch up the filling and instead of apples use fresh blueberries, strawberries, or even cherry pie filling. It really is totally up to you and what pleases your palette:) They are super easy to do and if you love apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar combined - you are going to love these Turnovers! They are especially good with some warm caramel drizzled over the top. Mmm!

I'm not sure what you'll be doing to keep yourself busy on this rainy week - but all I know is I'm doing me some baking before our power goes out!


Here are the ingredients you'll need for this recipe:

1 package of puff pastry (I'm making more than usual so I'm using 2 packages) 
4 oz of cream cheese
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp of whipping cream
2 Tbsp of sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp of vanilla
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp of water)
2 Tbsp of butter
2 Tbsps of cinnamon
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of corn starch
1/2 cup of water

(**Totally forgot to add the cinnamon, corn starch, and brown sugar to this picture. Silly me.**)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, egg yolk, whipping cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well combined. 



2. In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. 


3. Add the apples and cook for about 10 minutes. 


4. Mix the corn starch and water together and add it to the apple mixture. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. 





5. Once the apples are cooked, refrigerate them for about 30 minutes or until they have cooled down completely. Roll out puffed pastry on a floured surface and cut into squares. 




6. Place a small amount of the cream cheese mixture onto the pastry. Top with a tablespoon of the apple mixture. 



7. Egg wash the edges, fold together and seal with a fork. 




8. Using a sharp knife make a few slits in the top of eat turnover so that the heat can escape. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on each one. 



9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack. 




Hope you all had a sweet Monday! 

















1 comment: