Title

Our Love Filled Life

Monday, January 20, 2014

Always on & always available?


Lately I've been thinking about how I can live a more purposeful life and the topic "Meditating" in a recent young peoples bible study made me think about one issue specifically: If you watch people you see that every free moment they have, they grab their phone, check the news, Facebook, Pinterest... And it happens everywhere, waiting in line, in traffic, in the washroom, in bed before going to sleep and first thing waking up, often even in company when we go out to eat. And I have to admit I'm not much different. It can be addicting and you feel like you're missing out on the latest update if you don't check your phone which can cause stress and anxiety. I noticed something about myself. My phone is always the last thing I look at before I close my eyes at night - and the first thing I check and use first thing in the morning when I'm awake.


Couldn't we use these moments much better? How about thinking about your day so far, what you still want to accomplish. Or even better think about your last bible study, things you can be thankful for. Embrace each moment that you have. I believe Life can have more purpose if we are taking these breaks and not always keeping ourselves so busy with things that, to be honest, don't matter so much. Satan wants us as busy as possible so we don't have time for what is really important : God.


I bought alarm clocks for both Sarah and I this week so we don't need our phones on the night stand and can keep them out of the bedroom. My next step will be to replace my current Nexus 4 smartphone with a simple flip phone that I can only use for talk & text. News, Facebook & emails will have to wait for the times I am on a computer.


I am curious how this experiment will turn out. 







Begin to find joy in what really matters. 

B.D





No comments:

Post a Comment