Title

Our Love Filled Life

Monday, January 30, 2012

Cheese & Leek Soup



There is nothing like a nice hot bowl of fresh soup on a chilly snowy day! This recipe for Cheese & Leek Soup came from my Hubby's favourite cookbook of all time! Well we actually just purchased this one when we were in Germany and hadn't actually made anything in it yet until today...but he insists that it is his favourite one anyway. It's called "German cooking today" by Dr. Oetker. I've already marked quite a few pages of recipes I'd definately like to try out so I'm sure I'll end up using that one alot.





First thing's first with this recipe...

I didn't realize how long it would actually take to cut 2 1/4 lbs of Leeks! The recipe says the prep time for this soup is 15 minutes. Well I think it took me about 20-25 minutes just to wash and cut up all of the leeks into small slices. So if you are planning to make this soup last minute I would suggest either cutting up the Leeks the day before to save you some time, or just make sure to give yourself some extra chopping time before you start everything. Other than that this soup was super easy to make! We had my cousins over so I thought this would be a good choice to make for lunch today. I'll admit I didn't actually get to try it because I wasn't too hungry today...But I assume it turned out really good because of all of the "mmmm's" coming from the dining room. One of which came from little 2 year old Debbie. (my cousin's daughter) So this should be a recipe that the whole family can enjoy! Well...if you don't mind leeks of course;)



So here is everything you'll need to get started:

  • 2 1/4 lb leeks
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 500 grams of ground beef
  • Salt & pepper 
  • 4 1/2 cups of beef stock
  • 1 can sliced mushrooms (drained)
  • 7 ounces of cream cheese
  1. Prepare the leeks, cut in half lengthways, wash thoroughly and leave to drain. Cut them into thin strips. 
  2. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the minced ground beef and fry to seal while stirring, breaking up any lumps which may have formed with a fork or wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. 
  3. Now add the strips of leek and sweat briefly. Pour in the beef stock, bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. 
  4. Drain the mushrooms in a sieve, then add to the pot. Stir in the cream cheese and let it melt in the hot soup while stirring; do not cook any longer. Season the soup with salt and pepper. 
     *TIP* If you like you can also garnish the soup with a sprig of parsley.







So for those of you who try it out...let me know what you think! You could even get creative with it and throw in a few different ingredients of your own. I'd love to know what you did and how yours turned out! Enjoy!



So I found this video after I finished my soup...Hopefully it can be helpful for you if you haven't cut a leek before.


No comments:

Post a Comment